Saturday, August 07, 2004

Sushi

"Raw fish, I like cooked food." "It smells, it stinks." " I might get sick."

Those are excuses of people when I ask them if they would like to have sushi.

I first had sushi 8 years ago when I was visiting my brother in Miami, or was it Kuwait, hmm I think Kuwait. Anyways, we went with his artistic cinematic guru friend to the Hilton and they started eating sushi. I did not know how it tastes, but I am always open for new things. So I got started on the simple stuff, FutoMaki, Cal. Roll, the stuff for beginners. I liked it, so I also tried a couple others.

With time, I began to like sushi, and being in Florida with good fish, I had the chance to get good quality sushi for reasonable prices. I used to go either alone to a small sushi bar at the beach, or with my friend to a place she discovered, also somewhere along the beach. She used to have the "boat", full of fish and I of course got filled up on sushi or all kinds.

Since I came to work here, I have had sushi a few times. The most difficult part is to find a good place that sells good quality. After all, The Netherlands is not known for its good fish, nor for good sushi places. However, it has slowly changed. I found a nice place close to my house, about 10 mins away outside the city, its half Chinese, half Japanese. Its a big Villa, so it can fit 5 restaurants in one place if needed or more. I go there a couple of times a year to enjoy my raw fish delicacy.

Another difficulty is to find someone that likes sushi.

I understand now that in Kuwait there are plenty of Japanese places, Kei, Wasabi, kamikaze, 7ameedo shamel, you name it. I find it odd that so many places have opened for such a delicacy in Kuwait. I mean how many people want to eat sushi? and wouldn't the restaurants already existing before that be enough to satisfy them all? I do not remember ever going to a Japanese in Kuwait and it being full.

Next time I am in Kuwait I will pass by one of them and see what the buzz is about sushi.

2 Comments:

Blogger Purgatory said...

Why is it that everytime there is a post on food you get hungry :)?

5:10 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Well they cannot be in all places at the same time, sushi everyday is not exactly a balanced meal.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home