Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Stairway to Heaven

What is a question? One of the definitions of a question is an uncertainty about the truth or factuality of existence of something. An answer should provide clues or ideas on explaining the uncertainty. Is that always the case? of course not.

I like to ask questions, my mind is always full of them. I do not always find my answers, but I keep asking more questions. I analyze and analyze and analyze. Sometimes I get confused and then decide to take a break and pick a non-complete answer.

But back to my general statement,what is the purpose of all this confusion? Why would someone not want to answer a question? many reasons, insecurity, deliberate confusion, fear are just examples. In today's multimediatic (I made up this word, sounds nice)age the truth or the answer can be found easily. No longer can people hide behind false statements or try to mislead the masses. I said they cannot, but that does not mean they cannot get away with it.

You know why they can do that? Because we (ok I am one of the "we") are humans. Humans with emotions that affect our logic, humans affected by our environment, our childhood (I was neat in the bathroom for all of you Freud fans)and our time. One major item that plays a key role in shaping us, and shaping our ideals and beliefs is of course...... TIME.

Its the 21th century now, in 4000 years, do you think it would be different? do you think in 4000 years we would be better than we are today? I think not. History teaches us that we humans have never evolved beyond our lizard brains to get anywhere. We still make the same mistakes, we never learn.

However, all of this is going on in one world out of many, one universe out of many. If you believe in things existing in balance and that there is always an extreme to everything, there must be a parallel world that is totally worst than ours and there is one world that is totally better than ours. The question is, on which side of the scale is our world?

Remember Utopia? People always use that term to refer to the ideal and perfect place, where law is respected and people live in harmony. But for those who know Greek well, that definition is wrong. Utopia is composed of two Greek roots (I bet you English Lit. females like this bit the most *grin*):

1. the root "ou" means nowhere
2. the root "topos" means place.

So in Greek its outopos or nowhere place. The prefix "u" is similar to "eu" in English pronunciation. "eu" means good. So the correct translation indicates that Utopia does not exist. But, that does not stop us from trying to implement laws and regulations to get our society to that ideal situation.

Now back to my extremity scale, if Utopia did actually exists as a perfect parallel world to ours, would it be what we refer to as heaven? Is heaven then a parallel world? If it is a world, then it must have boundaries according to our understanding and definition of a world. There must be a way that we can get to it besides what we are told. We must have a way to get there regardless if we are good or bad.

Heaven can be reached, Hell can be reached. These are parallel worlds, so my last question is, Where is the stairway to heaven?

"Yes there are two paths you can go by
but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on."



8 Comments:

Blogger Jacqui said...

God hehe Don't start me on Utopia, especially after I just ended my summer course focusing on some of the aspects on Sir Thomas More's Utopia and also Plato's Republic.. Two concepts which seem so far-fetched and don't do justice to any human being.. because they state that there is an ideal world.. whereas in reality there is no ideal thing.. only reality.. Anyways the stairway to heaven I guess would be religion.. But then again who am I to say that.. :P

1:35 AM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

:P Of course thats from LZ, where else would the title and end lyrics come from :P

I like your other side-kick or personality better :P

11:34 AM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

I disagree, religion and heaven is different than my question. My question was related to heaven being an ideal parallel world, so how do we get there, not how do we get to heaven that is discussed in religion.

They could be the same thing.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Too stoned by my few hours of sleep.. and too tired to even allow those braincells to start to work.. well I dunno what to say.. just that i'm too tired to think LOL and oh well :r Life is complicated

12:08 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Yes and No. Occam states that the number of entities should not be more than what is needed to explain something.

So far I have not seen anything to make me less confused.

Besdies, he says also " beyond what is necessary", so ;)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Well go back to sleep :) you are on vacation Jackie

12:56 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Simple is not that interesting :)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Yes the post is related to the physical world, which has physical boundaries, such as a sea, land, orbit, etc.

Hence, that is how we define "our" world.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home