Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The furniture Ripper


I was watching the news last night, and they had a story about the furniture ripper. Supposedly there is this person who goes around furniture stores and slashes the sofas, beds, etc., of course costing the store a fortune.

Apparently there was a woman active in the Netherlands 7 years ago, but this one "according to the police" is local based in that area.

Few things came to my mind:

1) Furniture Ripper!! I mean what kind of a criminal is that? I mean what goes through their heads?? Oooooh am a tough criminal! Oooooh look at me mister furniture ripper, fear me, run for your lives! blah!

2) The police actually talking about this without laughing.

So the next time you are around a furniture store, beware, for the ripper might be close.

5 Comments:

Blogger shosho said...

Not surprised. Vandalism comes in all shapes and forms these days. You can't tell how a criminal mind functions, but I sense there is something 'aesthetic' in the act.

Probably he likes the sound of the furniture as it's ripped off, he might be trying to compose the overture to his symphony. Or, the shape of the furniture after vandalising it gives him pleasure, so in the act of ripping he is actually trying to 'paint' his masterpiece.

Still you cannot disassociate this artistic act from its historical context. I wonder what type of furniture he was destroying. Was he making a political statement?

I don't think the ripper was doing whatever he was doing just for the heck of it because there is a pattern in what he is doing. There is something surreal about this pattern. He reminds me of what Picasso said:
"A painting is a sum of destructions".

6:13 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Shosho, only someone with your frame of mind would come with such a comment :)

8:07 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Shosho
Can you elaborate more coz my mind is skipping something along the road

2:40 AM  
Blogger Q80-ChillGirl said...

Agree with what shosho said :} well said dear.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Rabab,

Of course your mind would be skipping after your royal rumble in the prev. post

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home